Yesterday I said "Goodbye"

When I kissed his head, I knew it would be the last time...

I had only known Joaquim for three weeks or so, but his gentle smile and warm heart made a lasting impact on our lives.

You could tell right away this man was smart; he was educated. Here, that could be cause to demand respect, something to lord over other men. But not with him. He was humble. He had his opinions on matters and was not intimidated or scared to present them, but he did so with grace, and calmly listened to the others.

Jon had the opportunity to share in many such discussions with him. I think he really enjoyed his time with my husband. The conversations they had were more stimulating than day in day out routine at the hospital. I think those moments let him shine.

He used to be a teacher... and it showed. He was eager to help with our Portuguese, and wanted to make sure we understood what was being said. I am sure he was amazing in the classroom.

Joaquim had previously lost two children. In my heart, I like to think he was joyously reunited with them, and now they are living pain-free, running and jumping without limitations.

I honestly do not know where Joaquim stood with the Lord. It is hard to know sometimes here... or really anywhere. When we talked about the Lord he agreed; he hadn't become embittered toward the Lord for his current situation. He always eagerly welcomed prayers. I just don't know. Guess I don't have to.

I was chatting with the Lord yesterday, and I told Him that I fully believed He could heal Joaquim. Jon and I had just read about Jesus raising Lazuras from the dead, and my soul was full of faith. But at the same time, I told Him that if Joaquim knew Him and would be going to heaven, then let him go. Let him be released from pain. Let him quit fighting.

This world was never meant to be our home.

I was blessed to know Joaquim, and I thank the Lord for his time on this earth.

4 Response to "Yesterday I said "Goodbye""

  1. Vicki Heller says:
    January 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM

    I am so sorry for the pain ... the sadness ... the loss -- Joaquim has experienced so much of those things. I hope that he was blessedly found by the Lord. I hope he was reunited with his lost children. I do hope.

    May the light you carry bring hope and life to the others whom you are loving there.

  2. judykprescott says:
    January 11, 2010 at 5:48 AM

    I'm thankful too that you knew Joaquim, the Lord is truly blessing ya'll. Hard to say but I believe it.

  3. ninismom33 says:
    January 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM

    Thankfully God does know all the answers we don't..I'm glad you had the opportunity to know him,as sad as it is. Love you!!

  4. Tara says:
    January 11, 2010 at 8:07 PM

    I'm too sorry for this pain. For those that you minster to with the LOVE of Jesus and for ya'll. I can't imagine. I almost break down thinking of it all. Just know that you are being used, your loving touches and words and more than they could ever ask for during such a hard time and I agree with all those who posted. I pray the Lord is moving in their hearts and He knows...He knows....

Post a Comment